Monsters Of Men - A Review By Laura


What is it about?
Three armies march on New Prentisstown, each one intent on destroying the others. The New World is at war. Todd and Viola are caught in the middle with no chance of escape.
As the battles commence, how can they hope to stop the fighting? And if war makes monsters of men, what terrible choices await?
Then a third voice breaks into the battle, one bent on revenge...
Who is it for?
Teenagers and young adults
 
Genre?
Science Fiction/ Dystopian
 
Is it any good?
I was hoping to give this book 5 out of 5 starts like I did with, book one The Knife of Never Letting Go and book two The Ask and the Answer, of this trilogy. I gave it four after trying to make my mind up about this book for a while. I'll be honest right now and tell you that I don't know what my feelings for this book were. I had a bit of a love hate relationship with it but it would not be fair to give any less than a four start rating based on the quality of everything this book has to offer.
I found that with the first two books of this trilogy I just could not put it down, and I didn't put it down that often, only to work or do other unavoidable things. However, with this book I felt the complete opposite. I was happy that I had work and the other unavoidable things in life as a excuse not to read this book but I couldn't tell you why;
  • Did I just enjoy the trilogy so much that I didn't want it to end and get myself into a little bit of a book slump
  • Did I expect more from the final book than it gave me
  • Did I feel like it was going on a little too much and should have been put into just two books

I couldn't tell you. Before I began this book I thought I would have it read in just under a week, it took me a month and I am shocked at myself for that.

I know you are probably wondering how since I am talking about this book the way I am I gave it four stars anyway well here are my reasons;

  1. The characters - I found myself falling in love with them all throughout this book, even the ones that are meant to play the bad guys, I felt sorry for them all at certain stages.
  2. The Storyline - Sometimes when you read a series of books you begin to feel as though the author is just dragging the story out so that they can make more books and money from it however I found that these books did not at any point get repetitive or slip away from the storyline that Patrick Ness was creating.
  3. The suspense - Although I felt as though the book started slow I still found myself wondering what was going to happen. This book lacked chapters and jumped from one characters point of view to another characters point of view and for me this just added to the suspense. At certain times one of the characters would do something and then we would be left seeing how the other characters react to this, in other situations I would be left for pages up on pages just wondering what was going to happen while Patrick Ness focused on another part of the story in a different part of the world. I know I said I couldn't make myself read this book but I am starting to think that is just because I didn't want the series to end.
  4. Not being able to even guess what is going to happen - Usually when progressing through a book you find that you can guess what the ending is going to be... With this book I really couldn't and even now that I have finished it I still don't really know what is happening to the characters. Patrick Ness has left the book open to a certain extent where it gives us the opportunity to end the book ourselves how we want it to end. He allows us to determine the fate of the characters.
  5. The World - The world created in this book is by far one of my favourite bookish worlds... The animals talk, you have fish that eat you, hear each others every thought and can control each other through thought alone... It is amazing.
Was the ending Satisfactory?
I always dread finishing trilogys, In some cases I have been let down by endings, even on some stand alones but this just finishes perfectly in my opinion
 
Rating?
4
 
Would I recommend the book?
I would recommend this book, the trilogy as a whole is really impressive and in my top 5 favourite trilogys... probably number 3!

Read it if you like:
Cassandra Clare, Stephanie Meyer and Rick Yancey

No comments :

Post a Comment