The Knife Of Never Letting Go - A Review By Laura


This book is about a boy who is about to reach manhood in a strange town where no women exist and all of the men can hear each others thoughts. The boy who plays the main character is the last in his town to reach manhood and something is about to kick off when he does, the book focuses on the journey that unravels as the boy tries to escape the men of his town.
----------------------------------------------------------- 

When I began reading it my thoughts were; 
  • Its going to have a similar plot to every other book of this genre
  • Its going to be a love story
  • I can't read this the writing is irritating me (I'll explain a bit late on)
  • I think this is going to be my second DNF book
The book proved me wrong on all my thoughts.

This book is completely different than any other of this genre I have read.

Recently it has started to annoy me how every book I read of this genre focuses on the love between the two main characters it just becomes so predictable, well so I thought. It hints at the fact that there is something between the two main characters however Patrick Ness focuses on the plot of the story instead, leaving this in the background... I love him for this.

The book is narrated by the main character and in order to make us connect and understand Todd Hewitt more Patrick Ness wrote as though Todd was talking... Todd can't read or write therefore Ness decided to spell certain words wrong e.g Stayshun for Station, direkshun for direction and twixt for between, I still haven't worked out where he got that last one from. During the first few chapters of this book I just couldn't get used to this. I was ready to put the book down but then the plot started to kick in and the more I read the more it became normal and was no longer a problem.

Due to mostly the spelling I was ready to put this book down but the way every chapter ended making me want to read on, just to see what was going to happen, I ended up finishing the book and I still don't know whats going on... I could have had this book read in a day or two but knew that I had to wait till Christmas day to get the next book of the trilogy, I have five days to wait and it is already killing me, I am glad I dragged it out a little longer, I don't think I would have coped.
 -----------------------------------------------------------

No comments :

Post a Comment