Thoughts For 50 - Pages 51 - 99 Of The Sudden Appearance Of Hope By Claire North

My name is Hope Arden, and you won't know who I am. We've met before - a thousand times. I am the girl the world forgets.
It started when I was sixteen years old. A slow declining, an isolation, one piece at a time.
A father forgetting to drive me to school. A mother setting the table for three, not four. A teacher who forgets to chase my missing homework. A friend who looks at me and sees a stranger.
No matter what I do, the words I say, the people I hurt, the crimes I commit - you will never remember who I am.
That makes my life difficult. It also makes me dangerous...
THE SUDDEN APPEARANCE OF HOPE is the tale of a girl no one remembers, yet her story will stay with you forever.

Laura's Thoughts
When reading Falling I could not wait for the weekend to come around so I could indudge in more of the book, reading this book I dread the weekends coming around and wait till the very last moment I can to pick it up and my first thought was 'Do I have to?!' 
When I read a book I will not move on until I know I have took the whole page in that I have just read and with this one I am feeling as though I have forgot the previous sentence never mind the page, it doesn't happen to me often either.
In my opinion there is no structure to the plot, Whether this is what North is going for and it becomes clear further down the line I don't know but for now it feels as though she has put together lots of little stories and literally thrown them onto the page. I feel really harsh saying this but it's just how I feel.
During the last half of this section I did become a little curious, I think I like the present parts of the book bt struggle with when Hope is talking about the past or describing things in detail such as bulletpointing and definitions, at such parts I feel as though I am reading a non-fiction book and loose interest.

Jen's Thoughts
I am really not sure about this book at all. The narrative is flipping between the past and present and I still don’t understand how Hope became forgotten. For some reason I think she is dead and is a ghost…. and that is why she finds thieving so easy. But then how can she reappear? It seems Claire North is playing with the reader, with most books I have read I get a sense of where the story is heading but with this one I have no clue. The story did gain some direction with the competition over the stolen diamonds; two guys want them or do they just want Hope? And what is this app ‘Perfection’ all about? I assume as this is an impossible trait to achieve it makes people want it more and it is what certain people will try for and risk anything for? Hope as a character seems to defy perfection, I don’t find her likeable at all and I certainly wouldn’t want to be her.

Laura Predicts
  • Byron14 is Parker
  • Parker and Hope fall in love
  • People start remembering Hope and she gets in a lot of trouble for everything shes done in the past
Jen Predicts
  • Parker will feature again
  • Byron14 will rescue Hope from her current situation

No comments :

Post a Comment