Thoughts For 50 - Pages 100 - 148 Of The Sudden Appearance Of Hope By Claire North

My name is Hope Arden, and you won't know who I am. We've met before - a thousand times. I am the girl the world forgets.
It started when I was sixteen years old. A slow declining, an isolation, one piece at a time.
A father forgetting to drive me to school. A mother setting the table for three, not four. A teacher who forgets to chase my missing homework. A friend who looks at me and sees a stranger.
No matter what I do, the words I say, the people I hurt, the crimes I commit - you will never remember who I am.
That makes my life difficult. It also makes me dangerous...
THE SUDDEN APPEARANCE OF HOPE is the tale of a girl no one remembers, yet her story will stay with you forever.



Laura's Thoughts
I'm starting to find it really ironic with this book being based on a girl that nobody can remember. This book will be just as easy to forget as Hope is, well based on the way it is going so far.
I experienced the opposite of last weeks 50 pages this week where I began by enjoying the first 20 or so pages of this section and then hated the rest where as last week I hated the beginning and enjoyed the rest. I feel as though Claire has some good ideas but just hasnt got the content to create such a big book, so far anyway.

Jen's Thoughts
Could it be this book is starting to go somewhere? After last week’s cliff-hanger, I was sort of looking to reading it. I do think it’s a post-modernist book, were the story doesn’t really move forward. I have only read one book of this genre and I disliked it for that reason. I do hope Hope isn’t one of these books, were I will end up hating the characters and the book itself. I got a bit of excitement with the fire incident, but the narrative doesn’t really sustain it with what it is going on.
I think this is the type of book were you have to read it in one go and not fifty pages per week. The fragmented reading doesn’t lend itself to this genre at all. With Falling by Jane Green, the storyline was maintained and I would have rung in sick to work to finish it.
I don’t want to reveal too much with what is going with Hope….SPOILERS and all that.

Laura Predicts
  • Byron14 will be someone that she has met in the past
  • Hope will track down Parker
  • Hope will get revenge for nearly being burnt alive

Jen Predicts
  • Parker will change his mind
  • Hopes mistakes will come back to haunt her
  • Byron14 will reveal himself
  • Hope will be rekidnapped by her family 

No comments :

Post a Comment