Thoughts For 50 - Pages 1 - 50 Of The Sudden Appearance Of Hope By Claire North

My name is Hope Arden, and you won't know who I am. We've met before - a thousand times. I am the girl the world forgets.
It started when I was sixteen years old. A slow declining, an isolation, one piece at a time.
A father forgetting to drive me to school. A mother setting the table for three, not four. A teacher who forgets to chase my missing homework. A friend who looks at me and sees a stranger.
No matter what I do, the words I say, the people I hurt, the crimes I commit - you will never remember who I am.
That makes my life difficult. It also makes me dangerous...
THE SUDDEN APPEARANCE OF HOPE is the tale of a girl no one remembers, yet her story will stay with you forever.


Laura's Thoughts
It was about time we got stuck into another book for our Thoughts for 50 feature, no matter what we read after Falling by Jane Green the book would have had a lot to live up to. The problem I am having with this one is that although both me and Jen were eagar to buy this book when we first read the blurb in work, the eagarness slowly drifted away for no apparent reason... Maybe it is part of Hopes mysteriousness but I suppose that would achieve the opposite affect of what Claire North was hoping to achieve with this book. I usually like when a book is written in first person however so far in this book it isn't working for me, North is trying to convey how intellegent Hope is for us by describing things we would never have to know in our life times and for me thats boring... saying that I didn't think I would become the slightest bit intrigued when reading the first 25 pages but the second half of our first read got my attention just a little bit... I am willing to give this book the benefit of the doubt... for now.

Jen's Thoughts
Finally we are reading this book, picking it up after a few months of buying it, took away some of its first appeal: but reading it we are. The narrative is not dissimilar to E. Lockhart’s We Were Liars, as I don’t know how trustworthy she is to take us through the story. As readers we are thrown in at the deep end, with flashbacks and a present day thrills. As a character Hope seems very unlikable and not someone I would choose to spend time with. I think the fact is I can’t trust her, but I feel what she has been through has made who she is. For some reason every time I picture her, I see her in a black leather jumpsuit like the Matrix or Mission Impossible. I will keep reading it every week though as I am very intrigued about this ‘forgotten’ girl.

Laura Predicts
  • More boring information we don't have to know
  • Hope getting a side kick/ this person messaging her becoming an important pat of the story
Jen Predicts
  • Someone will remember her
  • She will get caught out

No comments :

Post a Comment