After You - A Review By Jen


What is it about?
It’s all about life after Will for Lou. Enter grief counselling and a fireman. 

Who is it for?
Fans of Me Before You.

Genre?
Life Angst.

Is it any good?
I love a sequel, but did I love this one? Yes and no. The sequel to Me Before You brings back Lou after Will’s death. Bring in a near fatal accident and Lou has to realise there is life after the love of her life.

The book follows Lou through the grieving process, and trying to get on with her life. I understand the reasoning behind the novel, as in could lightning strike-twice? Could this be another hit?

There are a few little twists in the book, including the introduction of a character I found unlikeable: Will’s daughter, which he didn’t know about and nor did anyone else. I just found her really annoying and full of teenage angst. I just felt it wasn’t needed. The link to Will is required, but his mother who played a big part in the first book could have performed this function. But you can’t like everything about a book can you? There is no such thing as a perfect book. If Will was kept alive for the sake of a sequel, or if she had succeeded in ‘saving’ him, would it have been the same book? No, but in a way Lou now needs to save herself and live.

I like the idea, it was a twist I didn’t see coming. It just didn’t work for me.
There is a life after Will, but just not that much of it.

Was the end satisfactory?
Yes, just wanted more from the book itself. 

Would I recommend the book?
I would say it’s only really for fans of the first.

Read it if you like:
Me Before You by JoJo Moyes
All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

No comments :

Post a Comment