The Marble Collector - A Review By Laura


What is it about?
A forgotten childhood. A discovered life.
What if you only had one day to find out who you really were?
When Sabrina Boggs stumbles upon a mysterious collection of her father’s possessions, she discovers a truth where she never knew there was a lie. The familiar man she grew up with is suddenly a stranger to her.
An unexpected break in her monotonous daily routine leaves her just one day to unlock the secrets of the man she thought she knew. A day that unearths memories, stories and people she never knew existed. A day that changes her and those around her forever.
The Marble Collector is a thought-provoking novel about how the most ordinary decisions we make can have the most extraordinary consequences for how we live our lives. And how sometimes it’s only by shining on a light on someone else, that you can truly understand yourself.

Who is it for?

When reading the blurb I thought this book was going to be for older teenagers to younger adults but the issues you deal with throughout the book are a bit too deep for younger teenagers at least

Genre?
Adult Fiction

Is it any good?
The book is told from two different perspectives, we have Sabrina who is Fergus's daughter, talking about the present situation as she embarks on her journey for answers about her Dads past and who he actually is. Along with Sabrina we have Fergus's view on the past helping us as the reader to understand what is going on in Sabrina's journey throughout the book.
It took me a while to read the first few chapters, well when I say few I mean about 9 or something chapters, It takes a while to get the story rolling, I wasn't fully enjoying the book until I reached the ending. I don't know whether that was just because I could relate too much with Sabrina and the feeling of not knowing her fathers past. My own father is terminally ill and I only get to see him twice a week from the age of 11... I realised I don't actually know much about his past, for example where his tattoos came from, who his family was and it really hit home.

Was the ending satisfactory?
Usually its the ending that lets me down in books rather than the ending being the only thing I actually liked about about the book. It was a happy ending although I was dreading a different outcome and I think Cecila was trying to convey that the past will always come back and catch you up.

Would I recommend the book?
I would and I wouldn't... I think part of my problem though was that I related to the issues in the book a bit too much and it was a reality check

Read it if you like:
A Man Called Ove
The Five People You Meet In Heaven
One More Day

No comments :

Post a Comment