The Apartment - A Review By Jen


What is it about?
Married couple plan a holiday house-swap in Paris: an apartment. Perfect on paper, but not so much.

Who’s it for?
I would say adults.

Genre?
Horror

Is it any good?
The narrative is split between the married couple: Mark and Steph. After an ordeal in which armed men burgled their house, it is decided they need a break, as they have become distant with each other. There is an age difference between them, with Mark having married previously and suffered the loss of a child and his wife. I have a feeling like Mark’s masculinity, has been wounded by both these events and rather than talk, he would rather punish himself and suffer in silence and this is why he struggles to bond with his second daughter.
So the house swap holiday is required, but the apartment isn’t all that it is cracked up to be. Queue the weirdness – I was hoping for a resident ghost – but got a lot more. First of all there were the bags of hair in the closet, and no the residents aren’t barbers or hairdressers. Then Mark gets tormented by visions of his dead daughter, Zoe. Throw in a creepy a neighbour and whoomph! one scary place. The descriptions are filmic in detail and the book itself would work well if adapted for the big screen.
I was expecting the departure from the apartment to be the ending, but really it is the start of it. Mark I found as a character to be dislikeable, but given the climax to the events, I realised I wasn’t meant to. This book definitely needs a re-read, not sure when but soon. Laura bought me this book, after I helped her at work doing eleven/twelve hour shifts for her: she bought me this and Falling by Jane Green, which we are currently reviewing every fifty pages. So thank you Laura for buying me it and SL Grey for writing a good book.


Was the ending satisfactory?
No, because I wanted more, much more. I wanted some sort of closure for Steph and wanted more of the origins. I did tweet the author asking about a sequel, but the reply it was meant to be a standalone. Nooooooo I screamed.


Would I recommend the book?
Yes, it didn’t give me nightmares but it is scary enough.

Read it if you like:
The House on Cold Hill by Peter James
Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt

No comments :

Post a Comment