Landline - A Review By Laura


What is it about?
Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble; it has been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems beside the point now.
Maybe that was always beside the point.
Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn't expect him to pack up the kids and go home without her.
When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything.
That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts...
Is that what she’s supposed to do?
Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?

Was it good?
I gave this book three out of five stars, for the simple reason that it is right down the middle in my rating system. I didn't particularly like this book but I didn't dislike it either. I think because this is the third Rainbow Rowell book I have read I was expecting a little more from her but I just didn't seem to get it with this book, the paranormal element threw me off from being able to relate.

The book is based around a woman who is career driven and puts her family after her job, it is set around Christmas time in order for us as the reader to get an idea of just how much Georgie puts work before them. It takes Georgie phone calls to her husband in the past and him ignoring her in the present for her to realise how unhappy Neal is and to try and fix her mistakes and Georgie's best friend Seth doesn't help situations.

Usually when reading a book I fall in love with the majority of the characters but some how in this book I didn't fall for anyone or even like any of them for that matter. Even when referring to the past and looking at Neal and Georgie's history together I didn't see anything special between them as a couple, there was nothing that had me rooting for them to work things out. The closest I got to liking a character was Heather who was Georgie's younger sister.

When reading books I feel as though they either have to be full of paranormal/supernatural elements or have none at all and this is one of the reasons, probably the main reason why this book didn't work very well in my opinion. Everything that happens in this book is believable and probably even relatable to some people and then half way through the book Georgie picks up a magic telephone and rings her husband in the past and all of a sudden I wasn't as interested as I had been. I feel like this book was a little all over the place, as though Rainbow Rowell just didn't know how she was going to make Neal and Georgie resolve their relationship, gave up and chucked in a magical phone.

I think the quotations like the ones below where one of the few reason why I was able to carry on reading this book, Rainbow Rowell is amazing with words. 


“You don't know when you're twenty-three. You don't know what it really means to crawl into someone else's life and stay there. You can't see all the ways you're going to get tangled, how you're going to bond skin to skin. How the idea of separating will feel in five years, in ten - in fifteen. When Georgie thought about divorce now, she imagined lying side by side with Neal on two operating tables while a team of doctors tried to unthread their vascular systems. She didn't know at twenty-three.” 


“It's more like you meet someone, and you fall in love, and you hope that that person is the one—and then at some point, you have to put down your chips. You just have to make a commitment and hope that you're right.” 


“The future was going to happen, even if he wasn’t ready for it. Even if he was never ready for it. At least he could make sure he was with the right person. Wasn’t that the point of life? To find someone to share it with? And if you got that part right, how far wrong could you go? If you were standing next to the person you loved more than everything else, wasn’t everything else just scenery?”


Although I still class her as one of my favourite authors and I will continue to read her books I just wasn't really feeling this one, mostly down to the small amount of paranormal she tried to incorporate into it. The best part of this book for me was the blurb, I didn't enjoy the plot at all and found the book a little slow but at the same time I still enjoyed reading it because I love her writing style and her way with words.

Who is it for?

I would say that this book is aimed more at older readers as it deals with marriage issues and such, younger people maybe wouldn't be able to relate to the characters/theme of the book

Genre?
Adult contemporary romance fiction

Was the ending satisfactory?
When we finally reach the ending it just ends, I know I am stating the obvious there but that is all there is, it ends and not very interestingly at all. Usually when finishing a book you are left feeling some kind of emotion but I wasn't with this one.

Would I recommend this book?
Yes because its Rainbow Rowell, No because it is one of my least favourites of hers

Read it if you like:
Rainbow Rowell
Helen Warner
Nicholas Sparks

No comments :

Post a Comment