Fangirl - A Review By Laura


What is it about?
In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.
Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.
Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.
Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.
For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories? Open her heart to someone? Or will she just go on living inside somebody else’s fiction?

Who is it for?
Older year teenagers onwards

Genre?
Contemporary romance fiction

Is it any good?
From the moment that Cath met Levi I found myself smiling from ear to ear no matter where it was I happened to be reading, on the bus and even in the work canteen! They are just perfect together and the way in which Cath acts around him reminds me of exactly how I was and probably the majority of young girls act around their first boyfriends/crushes. I enjoyed the way in which Rainbow Rowell made Cath very relatable in terms of the worries she had during the first few weeks of college... I remember thinking along the same lines when I was attending University. I also like the way we got to see Cath on a personal level, dealing with family issues such as her fathers condition, her twin sister ignoring her and wanting more independence and with her mother leaving her, in my opinion Rainbow Rowell was really clever with certain aspects when writing this book such as the history of her mothers departure... from the beginning you see how much her mother wasn't really interested in the girls... not even bothering to think of another name when she gave birth to twins and calling them Cath and Wren (Catherine). At certain parts of the story I found myself really feeling for Cath and even some of the other characters.

Was the ending satisfactory?
I found myself captivated in this book and then I reached the ending and I was kind of disappointed... I expected something bigger than them just waiting in the bookstore for the final book of the Simon Snow Series.

Would I recommend the book?
Overall I would highly recommend buying this book! You will not regret it and it is definitely money well spent.

Read it if you like:
Rainbow Rowell
Jojo Moyes

No comments :

Post a Comment