Some Assembly Required & Re-Thinking Normal - A Two Book Review By Jen

What is it about?
These are two transgender teens, who in their respective memoirs detail their relationship and their transition from their biological sex to the gender they identify as.

Who’s it for?
For any transgender person, but really anybody who wants to gain an understanding of what it is to be transgender.

Genre?
Autobiographical/memoir.

Is it any good?
You may recognise the names of these two teens from a few years back, when their relationship took the world by storm. Arin is a female to male transgender and Katie is male to female and this is the story of their relationship and sadly their break up. It quite appropriate I review these two books together, due to this fact and the fact I read them within a few days of each other. Arin’s book I have lent to my very good friend, since he also transgender and when I came out to him, and this book was mentioned.
 
Both memoirs take the reader through their retrospective childhoods through their hormone treatment and prospective gender re-assignment surgeries. I realised that the thoughts I had been having myself through my own childhood were apparent. In Katie’s case she always wanted to dress up and be a girl. This took me back to my school days in the Wendy House, with me dressing up as the bride and pretending I was on the Love Boat (80s TV programme with a catchy theme tune) and it was sinking. I was the damsel in distress and unfortunately no-one saved me. Perhaps if things were different for me (my life is a looooong story), I may have transitioned earlier and I wish there was more support and acceptance out there back then. But unlike Cher: I can’t turn back time. Thing is as upsetting as it was for me to read these two memoirs, I am happy for Katie and Arin: they found support, acceptance and each other.
 
Not all transgender people have the support or gain the notoriety these two did. It reads like a fairy tale really, but in many ways it wasn’t due to their break up and other circumstances in their lives. What it has taught me is to be who I am, so as I type with my painted nails: I am proud to be transgender. Even though I am not fully out or living full time as my true self: there is support through Laura and my trans friend, which I am grateful for and hopefully others along the way. There will be a fight ahead and there will be tears, but I am me and will be me.

Was the ending satisfactory?
I didn’t want them to break up! But I knew they had, but what appears at the end is two transgender individuals in new relationships, being accepted for who they are.

Would I recommend the book?
Yes for anyone who wants to gain an understanding of what it means to be transgender or for anyone who is questioning their gender identity.

Read it if you like:
The only other transgender memoir I have read is: She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders by Jennifer Finney Boylan. Which deals with transgender issues from a transgender female later on in her life.

No comments :

Post a Comment