Girl Online On Tour - A Review By Jen

What is it about?
After the whole ‘OMG you’re an online blogger!’ and ‘OMG! you’re gonna be a Rock God!’ bombshells: Penny joins Noah on his tour…

Who’s it for?

Young adults.

Genre?
Teen-romance.

Is it any good?

Yes this is much better than its predecessor, Girl Online, which indicates to me a different writer or a different team were behind the book. As Siobhan Curham is not mentioned in the Acknowledgements, I believe this to be the case. Whether or not the book was ghost-written is something that has not been reported, unlike with the first.

Like the first, the narrative is split between blog posts and Penny’s first person perspective. Penny’s voice has matured, since months have passed from when we left her. Her anxiety and friendship with Elliot remain the same. Elliot appears to be a well-rounded character, than how he appeared in the first. He has been tamed and no longer appears as the gay stereotype. Interestingly he is paired with Alex with issues surrounding ‘coming out’, which is well addressed in the book.

Another character making an appearance is Meghan-Bitchface, but she only serves as a red herring to the real antagonist within the book. I must admit I didn’t see the twist coming, I must have been too engrossed to realise who the villain was. I won’t spoil it for you, but it’s good and says a lot about the media and music industry. Leah Brown, Noah’s fake girlfriend and is less of a bitch than I thought she would be and their friendship is a bit Sandy’s and Rizzo’s in Grease.

The tour acts as a bildungsroman for Penny, (a sort of coming of age event – I like big words) and she develops more as a character. She is finding a lot more about herself and what she wants to do with her life. Together this all culminates in a cliff-hanger…and it was confirmed there will be a Girl Online 3. I just hope the same team behind this one, do the next one.

Was the end satisfactory?
Oooooh yes: I shall be pre-ordering the next one, even though it’s only just been confirmed, since Zoe Sugg was only on a two-book deal.

Rating:

4

Would I recommend the book?
Yes, ignore the controversy of whoever wrote it, just because you are jealous of Zoella’s millions. Yes I admit it, I am jealous.

Read it if you like:

The first one!
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

No comments :

Post a Comment