The 5th Wave - A Review By Laura

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker.
Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.
 -----------------------------------------------------------

From the very beginning this book had me fully absorbed, I could have and would have read this book in one sitting if I had the time. The only thing I regret about this book is not reading it sooner. If the cover isn't enough to make you want to read this I think the blurb does the job. I always know when I love a book when I feel the need to literally go and buy the next one straight away, this is one of those books. If I could have I would have broke into Waterstones at midnight to get the next book  the first one is just that amazing and I would happily do time just to have the next book in this series... As long as they didn't take it off me when they sent me to prison.

In my reviews I usually do a little list of bullet points on what I love about the book, well in this case I am not going to bother because there is nothing that I don't love about it. Not too long ago I really disliked when authors wrote books from different peoples perspectives, jumping from one character to another. It used to really confuse me and I just didn't like that style of writing but then I read The Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness and I began to warm to it and now after reading this book it doesn't bother me at all... I may even enjoy it a little more than just having the one persons point of view now. By writing the chapters based on different characters experiences I now believe that it helps in making you love the characters even more than you do when just getting the narrators opinion on that person. This brings me on to the characters themselves;

Cassie - Yancey uses Cassie as one of the main characters in this book, he uses her to allow us to get an idea of what the attack has been like so far and how it has affected everyone. She is just your average teenage girl who has the weight of the world on her shoulders and a lot of responsibility thrown at her. There is nothing you cannot like about Cassie.

Ben - Ben is in this book, in my opinion, to allow the readers to see how the attack has affected both genres, I think that Yancey had written him so that males reading this book can relate to Ben whereas females gain this through Cassie. Although, on saying that I do love Ben just as much if not more than Cassie... Even though certain situations in this book don't necessarily have to involve Ben he makes them his responsibility whether to make up for past mistakes you still can't help see Ben as brave and courageous.

Evan - If Rick Yancey hadn't of wrote this character into the book the book wouldn't have been even half as good. Evan allows us to experience the confusion that the surviving humans in the story have to deal with in their every day lives, although we are supposed to hate him you just find that you can't and the majority of the suspense is built around him in this book.

Sammy - Sammy is Cassie's little baby brother and such a lovable cute character. Rick Yancey has written Sammy in such a way that not only do a few of the characters in this book make it their mission in life to rescue him you also want to jump into the book yourself and rescue him.

The rest of squad 53 - Rick Yancey has included someone for everyone to be able to relate to in this book, by writing in other characters as part of Squad 53 the readers are able to see how people of different ages, sizes, genres etc are finding and dealing with the attack he also uses these characters to pull on a few heart strings.

While writing this review I have found something I do not like about this book. It just isn't long enough I want more! I am really looking forward to the film now that comes out in just under a year I just hope that they do this book justice.
 -----------------------------------------------------------

No comments :

Post a Comment