Room - A Review By Laura

What is it about?
To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Who's it for?
This book is probably aimed at young adults onward, the book deals with a lot of different issues that I don't think the younger readers would really understand.

Genre?
Contemporary Fiction 

Is it any good?
At first I found it a little difficult to get into the style of writing used, it is wrote from the perspective of a five year old child and I sometimes find it hard to read un-proper English if that even makes sense. If I hadn't watched the trailer i'll be honest and say this book probably wouldn't have made it into my read pile. My advice to you is that if you are reading this and enjoying the story line but struggling with the style of writing just keep going, you will not regret it.

I knew that this had the potential of being a very emotional book dealing with situations/issues such as kidnap but I was not prepared for the amount of situations/issues this book kept throwing at me, overall it made the book all the more special and touching. I sympathised with the characters that deserved my sympathy, I hated the characters that I was supposed to hate and I fell in love with little Jack, what more can you ask for in terms of characters, Emma is a fantastic writer and I will be keeping my eye out for more of her work after reading this.

Was The Ending Satisfactory?
Now that you are at the end of my review you are probably thinking to yourself that I haven't said anything in-particularly bad about this book so why haven't I rated it the full five stars, well the simple reason is because the ending disappointed me. I don't know whether it was just because I wanted more or maybe I was just expecting a little more from it but the ending failed to impress me, I feel as though Emma just didn't know how to conclude it or just got bored of trying. If this book had an epilogue, maybe just maybe it would have scored a five star rating.

Would I recommend the book?
I do recommend this book to people, as you may know I work in a bookstore and if people ask me for a good book and this is their preferred genre I always point them in this direction and usually it is a success.
 
Read it if you like:
Jojo Moyes - Me Before You

No comments :

Post a Comment