Girl Online - A Review By Jen


What is it about?
Penny blogs about her life and all the craziness of it under an alias: Girl Online. Bring on the teenage angst! She gets whisked away to New York and meets Noah, and he too has a secret: he is about to become a music superstar.

Who’s it for?
Young adults.

Genre?
Teen-romance.

Is it any good?
I do not normally go for celebrity endorsed books, me and Laura refuse to put any book by Katie Price out on the shelves in the shop we work in. Books which are ghost written do not really do it for me. I have read many of the books by Virginia Andrews, even though she only wrote a few of the sagas before her death: books are still appearing on the shelves bearing her name. This book is controversial due it being unclear who actually wrote the book: the named author or Siobhan Curham. Honesty to me is the best policy, her brother, Joe in his graphic novel named the people and how they helped him to develop his book User Name: Evie. Therefore I was against purchasing this book and contributing to her millions, but since I saw her appear in one of her boyfriend’s (Alfie Deyes) vlogs, and she was really sweet: I relented as I did with Jeffrey Archer.

The book is targeted at a younger audience and is genuinely sweet. It is written from Penny’s perspective and includes posts from her blog: Girl Online. Her family feature heavily as does her stereotypical gay best friend, Elliot. Even the name screams stereotype. They all go off to plan a wedding in New York and Penny meets Noah. Bring on the teenage angst. Friendships are broken, relationships are formed. Elliot gets jealous over Noah and Penny, runs away from home and his dad says he will go to therapy to accept his gay son. It’s all a bit too much. I know some parents do not have the unconditional love involved in having a child, but it would be better if there was more to this story than the rushed conclusion it gets. I know Elliot is the ‘token’ best friend and a sub plot, but his story should not have been side-lined. It just seemed a bit narrow minded to me and stereotypical.

Penny and Noah’s relationship is sweet in nature, as they help each other get through their past troubles: her panic attacks and his parents’ deaths. The ruction comes in the form of the discovery Noah is a famous singer and how Penny ends up going viral as a home wrecker. I repeat honesty is the best policy! Ollie and Megan Bitch Face are to blame, but Elliot is the one who gets it. Nevertheless all is resolved very quickly and things are set up nicely for Girl Online On Tour (which I have also purchased, and will read it). I just hope Elliot gets treated better in the sequel.


Was the ending satisfactory?
Yes as I knew there was a sequel, I presumed it would set itself up for it.

Would I recommend the book?
For those who want a younger lighter read: yes. For those who want something a bit deeper: no.

Read it if you like:
I don’t know who to say, because the books I have read (which are for teenagers) have tended to be a lot deeper than this one.

No comments :

Post a Comment