A Man Called Ove - A Review By Laura

What is it about?
Just as the title suggest this book is about a man called Ove, Ove comes across as a grumpy old man although he would do anything for anyone and a young family moving in next door helps up discover this throughout this story.

Who is it for?
This book is suitable for a wide age range from young adults right through to the older generation, there is no reason why teenagers could not read and enjoy this book, They just might not be able to relate as much as older readers.

Genre?
Heart warming fiction with a touch of comedy

Is it any good?
Yes, I absolutely adored Ove he's the kind of old man everybody needs in their lives, he actually reminds me of my own grandad, before he was unable to leave the house, he used to get the bus into town every morning and come whistling home every afternoon with the shopping, until the age of 85!, Maybe that is one of the reasons I fell for him so much. At first I thought the fact that the book had been translated into English would be an issue for me, the punctuation was a little off at first but it turned out not to be an issue after a few chapters. I adapted to the style of writing and really enjoyed the reading style in the end.

One of the main reasons I love this book is because of the way that Fredrik Backman used the past and the present in alternate chapters helping give the reader an insight to why certain people hung around in Oves life for example why Jimmy was always there waving to Ove and why Anita turned up at Oves house with any issues she had, it is just such a heart warming and heart breaking story. It really has me looking forward to reading My Grandmother Sends Her Regards by Fredrik Backman.

Was the ending satisfactory?

Yes, I finished the last quarter of this book while covering a shift in work and didn't I just regret it... I cried my eyes out in public all over the airport and had a few people even asking me if I was ok. What is a good book without an ending that can cause you to feel a strong emotion.

Rating?
5 Stars, Not much I would change.

Would I recommend this book?
100%, so go read it!
 
Read it if you like?
Mitch Albom

No comments :

Post a Comment